Every mobile app developer dreams of creating an app which will help in solving a common problem, addressing an issue faced by the general public, or give them the next Angry Birds. Behind the scenes, every Android developer faces several challenges while incorporating features which would benefit the customer. Here are some android development tips which a developer can refer to for a flawless development process:
1. Book Your Name Space: It is a small, but still important that the name of the app is decided well in advance and reserved to avoid any duplication. Google’s Android market uses a special package name that is used in your manifest to identify your app amongst the thousands of other apps in the play store. If you plan to release an app in the future it is always better to reserve a name for your app, since that is what your customer’s will identify with first and foremost.
2. Analyze the Android Design Guidelines: Google has prepared a set of android design guidelines to help out new android developers. Popularly known as Material Design, these guidelines were laid down so that all android apps behave and feel the same way while providing a consistent UI/UX. By following these guidelines, end-users will be able to intuitively understand the working and enjoy the app as well.
3. Research Well and Listen to Your Users: Researching well before starting the development process is always a good option. It is important that the developer understands what the user needs and designs a product on those lines. Users love it when the developers listen to them and take their feedback seriously. When their voices are heard there are greater chances that they will continue using the app. Play store reviews, even after the release of an app, are an ideal metric to understand what features you should push out in the forthcoming updates.
4. Be Aware of Fragmentation: Every Android mobile app developer needs to understand the android market demographics well and how the market is fragmented. Google has come out with different versions of Android and the related technologies have just got better. The android app being developed needs to be compatible with the latest Android versions, and if possible, still support some of the older ones. Also, android devices come in different sizes and screen resolutions which need to be taken into consideration while designing app layouts, fonts, assets, etc.
5. Optimize Your Apps: Mobile users absolutely hate apps which take a long time to open or process or which take up unnecessary space on the phone. The speed of flow and the overall size of the app are one of the most important factors which will decide if it will be successful or not. Using unnecessary objects and variables in the app is one common mistake made by new developers which can result in reducing the speed of your app drastically.
6. Develop for Multiple Devices: Android allows the flexibility of using the same app on multiple devices. But, for an android app developer it is almost impossible to test the product on every device. Therefore, in order to maintain consistency among the various devices with different sizes, it is better to use density-independent pixels (dip or dp) instead of pixels. Android then automatically calculates the right amount of pixels depending upon the screen size.
7. Test Your App Thoroughly: Never release your app before testing it! Not testing the app thoroughly before it is launched is one mistake many developers make. Having a bug-free mobile app is an asset and certain measures need to be taken to achieve that. The app should be tested by alpha testers and then undergo beta testing in the second stage. The flaws and inconsistencies revealed during the testing phase should then be corrected before the final release.